Waiting for the Bus
- Develop a schedule. Leave home on time each day.
- Walk facing traffic, if there are no sidewalks.
- Arrive at the pick-up spot at least 10 minutes before the target pick-up time.
- Be prepared to wait 10 minutes after the designated target pick-up time.
- Wait a safe distance off the roadway. Do not wait in the street.
- Stay off lawns and other private property.
- Before approaching the bus, wait for it to come to a full stop.
- Be polite and take your turn getting on the bus.
- Use the handrail.
- Drivers have a schedule to keep. Parents should not engage the driver in long conversations.
The driver is in full charge of the bus and its passengers. Please follow the directions of the driver. If your bus has a monitor, directions from the monitor should be followed also. Drivers may assign students to particular seats. All buses are subject to video/audio surveillance.
- Walk to the assigned seat and remain there. Do not stand or move around while the bus is moving.
- Do not talk to the driver unless it is an emergency. Drivers need to keep their minds on driving and their eyes on the road.
- Talk quietly so that the driver can hear traffic sounds.
- Do not open or close window or roof vents.
- Never extend your hands, arms, heads or personal belongings through the windows.
- Loud, profane language or yelling is not permitted.
- Do not smoke, eat or drink beverages on the bus.
- Do not deface or litter the bus. Students will be held accountable for any damage they do to the bus.
- Do not tamper with any safety device or any other equipment on the bus.
- Do not play electronic devices without headphones or without permission from the driver.
- Do not move from your seat until the bus comes to a full stop.
- Take your turn. Do not crowd in front of others.
- Use the handrails.
- Watch your step.
- Look both ways, and check for turning cars before you cross the street.
- Do not linger around the school bus after getting off.
In Case of Emergency
- Stay seated.
- Depend on the driver to take care of emergency situations.
The Consequences of Improper Behavior
- Driver warns students.
- Conference with driver may be held.
- Disciplinary notice may be sent to parents.
- Student sent to principal and parents called.
- Suspension of bus privileges (severe case).
- Students will be held accountable for damage to school property.
NOTE: Consequences are determined by the severity of the problem.