Brookside School 54We are a proud member of the Indianapolis Public Schools community of schools serving grades PreK through 6.
Essential References About Our School
About Our School
It is the belief of Brookside School #54 that we provide a wholesome and safe environment for learning. We recognize the dignity and value of each student as an individual and provide for them the opportunity to grow both in educational academics and social interaction.
Brookside School #54 students will become respectful, responsible, peaceful and lifelong learners.
Brookside School #54’s history began in 1865 as a two room framed schoolhouse serving neighborhood children. In 1886, a new four room brick building was erected across the street on land that houses Brookside School #54 today. In the early 1900’s, Brookside School #54 saw rapid growth in its student population and several additions were made to the original four room brick building. Over the next twenty years, additions included an auditorium and many classrooms.
In 2004, Brookside School #54 underwent major renovations turning the old 20 room brick school building into a contemporary 90,000 sq. ft. facility. Brookside School #54 houses twenty seven classrooms, a gymnasium, a cafeteria, a library, a distance learning room, a parent center, a community room, a health clinic and two playgrounds. Many of the architectural structures that personalized Brookside School #54 like the limestone arch bearing Brookside’s name and the pillars were incorporated into the new building. Artwork, including murals and pictures painted by Otto Sparks and Clifford Wheeler (commissioned by students in 1921), was restored and placed throughout the new building. The new Brookside School #54 building opened in 2006 with a building capacity to serve eight hundred students.